Friday, February 27, 2009

Consider Yourselves Served!

They don't know it yet, but they're about to be kicked out of the big bed (I think). As most of you know, there was a huge recall of all Storkcraft cribs a while back. We've been using that as an excuse to co-sleep with Mathilde and Alexis, when really we were all about getting more sleep. And maybe the snuggling wasn't so bad either. I've been telling Ivan (and myself) that once the girls hit three months, they'd be out. Today is 11 weeks, so if you go by my method of counting, they're three months next Friday. By Ivan's method, that won't happen until March 12th. Yesterday morning, I put them in their crib for three hours in the morning and they actually slept there! Who knew? So to continue the experiment, I put them in there at 3am after after a middle of the night feeding. And they're still there at 7 30am (I had to feed them at 6am). As well, yesterday the replacement crib brackets arrived from Storkcraft. If you're into signs, and I often am, you might consider that one a sure sign that it's time to kick them out of the Big Bed. I may just kick them out of our room all together! (Since we can see into their bedroom from ours anyway).
We've had a good week. We're dealing with the thrush issue one treatment at a time. It's not that it's a big deal to give them their medicine, really, it's just that the yeast is a hardy thing that's happy to stick around once it's been let in the door. Add another baby to an already tricky equation and you have thrush paradise! Just when it gets kicked out of one joint, it finds another to take up residence in. So you really have to be on top of this one.
Developmentally, I don't know if the girls have made huge measurable strides this week. They smile more, to be sure. They're still working at holding their heads up while they're on their tummies. Tilly seems to be vocalizing more perhaps. She was telling her father an elaborate story last night.
They love having their diapers changed. Bath time has become much more fun for them too. Well, the getting and staying wet parts anyway. They do NOT love getting out of the tub at all, and that's usually when bath night tanks. The happy parts make it worth it though. Well, that and the lovely smelling baby that you get in the end too.
We've also gone a week without using formula. We'd been using about 2 oz to top up Lexi every other evening or so (Tilly doesn't take the bottle well). But I finally gained the confidence to say that they're getting enough without it. Also, I'd probably been sabotaging my supply by not offering her the breast anyway since it's all about supply and demand. Going by the the dirty diapers, I'd say they're getting what they need. Breast feeding sure is mysterious though. Just when I think I've gotten the hang of it, something always comes up. The girls are always evolving their feeding schedules, so that just when you think you've got something you can work with, they want an extra feeding, or even to skip one. I've given up on thinking they might just get through the night without one. Sometimes they do go three nights in a row without a 3am feed. Then, for whatever reason, they want to eat every three hours during the night for a couple of nights. They're still really young though. I can't expect them to form a schedule yet. I'll worry (maybe) if by 6 months they haven't found their patterns. In the mean time, Ivan bought me a beautiful chair that's been waiting for me in the nursery, and since they're getting kicked out of our room tonight, I'll have a chance to put it to good use!
That's it from this house for this week. I'm starving and need to eat so that I can feed the girls. I can hear Lexi stirring and Mathilde has since gotten up and is in her mechanical chair. I'd like to get her out of it. If anybody has any topics they'd like me to talk about, I'd be happy to take requests. Raising twins has, is and will be an adventure! Take care.

1 comment:

Created With Paper said...

Topic suggestion, okay I have one, I'd love to hear about how the girls interact with each other. I know you mentioned they avoided eye contact earlier, has that changed? Having had our two kids 2 years apart I'm wildly interested to hear what they think of having a constant companion. Or do they have alone time with you and Ivan where you separate and just take them one on one?