Friday, March 27, 2009

Angry Babies/Hard To Please

Okay, no, not really. How satisfying is it that when you are a Mama, you can pick up your baby and immediately fix what ever is wrong? Well, most of the time, anyway. Unfortunately, when you are a twin Mama, you don't always have enough arms for all the babies who are crying. Thankfully that only happens once in a while (like twice a day).
Anyway, we've had a busy week developmentally speaking. The girls have discovered that their hands are attached to their arms, which are attached to their bodies. They bring them together at the mid-line and then stare at them as though they were the best things they've ever seen. Then they watch carefully as they bring their hands to their ever eager mouths. This means less swaddling for us, since they can now fully realize the potential of their hands to sooth themselves. I skip it all together for naps, and often when I go in to get them, they are contentedly sucking away on their fingers. Sometimes it even wakes me up at night (they are pretty good at getting out of a swaddle) and I know it's time to go in and feed them.
Yesterday we went over to a girlfriend's home to visit with her, her 2.5 year old and 6 month old. The children (and Moms) sat around on the floor and my girls marveled at baby Anna, and young Maria. It was quite an evolution getting everyone out the door, but completely worth it. I'd like to start introducing the girls to more and more people, and we always look forward to visitors.
The girls are getting stronger on their bellies and hold their heads up at 90 degrees for longer and longer periods. I thought Tilly might roll over the other day, but she doesn't quite understand that she needs to giver herself some momentum to get all the way over. Since babies are now put on their backs to sleep, the age that babies roll over has been pushed back to around 7 months. That said, some babies do it earlier, and some skip it all together. Frankly, it's safer if they don't roll over, but I figure it might be more fun for them if they could do it.
Both girls are now openly laughing. In my opinion, this is the cutest thing in the whole entire universe. Even cuter than a herd of snowy white puppies and kittens. It really just gets better and better. I'm always told these things in advance by well meaning people, but it just doesn't hit home until it happens. Ivan's arrival home also invokes many super smiles and giggles. I imagine that must feel pretty good too.
Well, this will be a short post. I had an extra waking by Alexis this morning, and although it certainly was quality time, I am feeling the pain today. The girls are down for the count, (how long I couldn't say), and so I think that I will join them. All the very best to you all!

1 comment:

Created With Paper said...

Nicholas (and maybe even CJ) never rolled, completely skipped rolling, to this day I'm still not sure I've ever seen them roll! We got your parcel today in the mail for CJ's birthday, you are amazing, I'm not sure how you do it all! She'll open it at her party on Sunday. I asked her what she thought was inside, she said a doggie, well see!