Friday, June 19, 2009

Two Long Weeks Without Papa

Well, we've survived the Intermediate Mine Warfare course, and I must say, it was far more difficult the second time around! Okay, to explain...it was Ivan's turn to take this 5 week international course. Having already done it, I knew what to expect when Ivan approached me about doing it this Spring. I knew there would be about two weeks where he would have to work late and I would have to figure out how to bath the girls and put them to bed on my own. But what I didn't anticipate, was how hard it would be on Ivan to miss out on seeing his Gullies.
It makes for a long day, that's for sure. We'd get up around 7am when Ivan left for work. Most mornings he would at least get to kiss them while one nursed and the other lounged in the bed beside me watching Canada AM (that and A Baby Story are all they get to watch). Once everyone is fed and changed we head downstairs so I can gobble down some cereal, feed River and then get the girls' breakfast together. They have cereal, either oatmeal or barley, and now I also give them some homemade apple sauce. (They prefer Gala). Once they've eaten their fill, I quickly make up some bottles of formula for their bed time snack, dig out some purees from the stash in the freezer for their supper and do a quick clean up. Then I make a cup of coffee and we settle on the floor for some baby play action. We play for about 15 minutes and usually I have sleepy eyes and grumpy coughs indicating it's time to head back to bed.
The girls normally nap for about 45 minutes in the morning, during which I shower, do laundry, catch up on e-mail (Facebook) or I blog. Once they're awake, they get their vitamins, have their bums changed, faces washed, teeth "brushed" and they get dressed for the day. While one is on the change table, the other sits in the rocking chair beside the change table (for now, probably not much longer) with a toy. Then I carry them both downstairs for their next meal. River is ever present in this evolution.
After the girls have been fed, I check their diapers again (normally they are full), and then I put their sun screen on, hats, jackets or whatever the weather dictates, load them into the stroller, get River ready, put my shoes, sunscreen etc on and we head out the door for an hour walk. They may or may not sleep during their walk.
When we get home, I unload them one at a time and settle them into their swings or what have you so that I can wolf down some lunch. Then we might play a bit more, or I might vacuum, hang laundry or whatever until it's time to feed them again. After they're fed, we try for a second nap. This one usually lasts an hour and I relax during this time by knitting, or lately making cards (I'm no expert at this by any means!). After this, the girls get up and I'll get the supper prep done (if Ivan's coming home) while the girls are in their high chairs watching. Lately, Ivan hasn't been home, so we've used this time to play and practice sitting up and rolling over.
By 5pm, it's time to feed Alexis and Mathilde their supper. They get rice cereal and usually two vegetables. So far they've had squash, peas, carrots and sweet potatoes. All of the are their favourites!
Because of the sunscreen, we're bathing them more often. If it's a bath night, I take them into the bathroom (after setting it up), put one in a bouncy chair and then bathe the other. Then we switch. Once that's done, they get a bit more play time while I find something resembling supper and then I heat their formula. We go upstairs and I put Alexis in her rocking chair and she sucks her thumb while I feed Mathilde. Then we switch and the girls get put to bed for the night. Whether they stay that way is another story.....
So it's been busy. Okay, it's always busy, it's just been busier than usual. We've also had a tremendous amount of fun. So far the sixth month has been a really exciting and social time and I wake up looking forward to greeting each new day. That said, I'm so glad it's the weekend! Happy Father's Day to all the Dads, and of course to my wonderful husband. I don't think anyone could ask for a more devoted Papa.
As I finish this entry I realize that I should have written about Ivan and the Gullies. And part of me wants to erase what I've written and start over. Time is too short for that though. I'll just say instead that we love you very much, Ivan. And I do thank you for all that you do for us. It must be hard to have to leave your family each day and head out the door to work. When you come home it must be like entereing a secret world, one which constantly evolves withought you. I think it takes a very strong person to be able to set your resolve to penetrate that world and include yourself. Mathilde and Alexis are so much better for it, and I have an equal partener to help me make the hardest and most important decisions I've ever had to make. We appreciate you, Papa. Come home soon so we can get our Weekend ON!!!

2 comments:

Created With Paper said...

I'm not surprised that Ivan is a great dad, I feel very lucky with Hal that way too...because of the great role models they had from their parents no doubt!

I'm glad you didn't erase the rest! I was so interested to see all the details about a typical day for you, it reminds me of when our kids were babies. I must say I think you're amazing, I remember how hard I felt it was with just one, but two at once, I really can't imagine. I'm so happy that Hal gets to come see you all in person, wish we could be there too.

Tari said...

We missed you and the kids, Toni. We really enjoyed Hal's visit!