Friday, June 12, 2009

You are 6 Months Old

You are 6 months old today. And I love you so very much. What big girls you have become, with so much personality and so much presence in our house and in our lives. When you go to sleep I miss you. Papa has been working so late this week and he has missed you terribly. I can tell by the way he drinks you in when he does get a chance to see you. It's hard for me to remember what life was like before you came along. It certainly couldn't have been as fulfilling as it is now. What did we live for before you? I wonder this because each breath I take, I take for you.
Mathilde, you are such a nice girl. Maybe nice isn't the best word, because to say a baby is nice, implies that a baby could be mean. Ridiculous. So what is the word to describe how sweet you are? You smile at your sister when she cries, and you engage yourself so fully with people and yes, even objects around you. I often watch you chat with your toys and attempt to make friends with that ever elusive dog. You are a social creature.
Mathilde, you love to eat and try new food. You've even learned to chew by watching me eat my breakfast in the mornings. Today you chewed your mashed banana while locking your eyes on mine the entire time. Yes, you did a great job!
You would rather share a bed with us than sleep alone, which is bit of a challenge. The real problem here is that I would also rather share our bed with you than have you sleep alone! At least at 4am that's how it feels.
You are funny. Sometimes Papa and I call you our Ham Sandwich. You flirt by scrunching your shoulders up, squeezing your eyes shut, smiling and squealing. You are constantly engaging us with your facial expressions and that beautiful and sweet smile. Your personality seems to be firming up, and if what I've seen is any indication of what is to become, you may be a very social person who loves deeply and is very affected by the actions of others. You are sensitive, to be sure, but not overly. When you are not happy, you are very easy to bring around. And you are very nearly always happy when you wake up to greet the day.
And finally, Mathilde, you give the best hugs. You are so snugly and cuddly. Thank you for being you.
Alexis, if all parents had you for a first baby, they would be lulled into having a hundred more. You found your thumb, and it seems to fix just about anything and everything. This makes you a very easy going baby. You sleep until you wake up and then if nobody comes to get you, you go to sleep again. Often I hear you entertaining yourself in your crib by banging your legs and feet against the wall and bars of your crib. You are very vocal too. You babble and scream and make raspberries. You suck in your breath and cough and even for a short period you did a mean Darth Vader impersonation. I thought this was very odd until I heard River walk by you one day panting. Maybe you were mimicking him?!
You enjoy all foods, but are not a big eater yet. Often we have to coax your thumb out of your mouth in order to get the food in. You want to be in charge of the spoon, and when I let you, you eat very well! It won't be long before I'm forced to just give you pile of food and let you go to it.
Alexis, you don't seem to play with your toys so much as inspect, analyze and compare them. Today I watched you in your swing as you held a toy in either hand. You were shaking each toy and looking back and forth at them as you did so. You don't smile when you're "playing", in fact you are very serious. You seem to be trying to figure out the world, while Mathilde seems happy just to be in it.
Alexis, you love music and rhythm. You love to be held while we dance, and you are often banging your foot or a toy to the beat of whatever is on the radio. All I have to do is strum a chord on the guitar and you are smiling. You love it when I sing, so I sing to you often. When we go for walks sometimes you lose patience and so I make up silly nonsense songs until you stop crying.
You have a funny, independent way about you. You are happy to be held on a lap, but you are not so eager for a cuddle. We referred to you as the Non-Bendy one for a few weeks because you were adamant that you would have your legs as straight as can be. And to your credit, you were quick to bear your weight on your legs, you enjoy your tummy time and look to be on the verge of crawling. You have energy to burn, and have a quick, light manner.
But for all your seriousness, Alexis, you are incredibly sweet. You always have a smile for Mama and Papa, and you have huge inviting eyes. I feel so lucky to know you and can't wait to know you better.
So, Gullies, congratulations on meeting this huge milestone! Think of all of the things that you have learned to do! It's incredible. I am so happy to have had this time with you, and I am so excited to share the future with you. You are so good, and we are so extraordinarily proud of you girls. Thank you.

No comments: