Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lexi Talks (Well sort of)

Well, if you were starting to become annoyed with my more recent posts, you're not alone. I was annoyed by them myself! This is what happens when you spend too much time alone with infants and not enough with adults. Okay, it's a poor excuse, but I'm going to stick to it! I went back and edited last week's post a bit for sentence structure, spelling and grammar. I was in a hurry to get it out, but that's another poor excuse for laziness. I'll keep this post short and sweet in an attempt to get back on track; back to what's really important.
So, as the title implies; Alexis is finally babbling. Normally, babies start this by the end of 7 months, but Alexis decided to keep me guessing. Yesterday, in fact, I'd resigned myself to the fact that maybe she just wouldn't do it. That doesn't make any sense though, since I'm pretty sure that babbling is the necessary precursor to speaking. Anyway, this morning, while enjoying a luxurious sleep in, I dreamed that Alexis was in the next room and I could hear her saying Da da da da! very loudly. I went in and hugged her and praised her excitedly. But then I awoke from the dream to the same thing. Da da da da da! Over and over again. I called down to Ivan and asked if that was Alexis, expecting him to say that it was Mathilde, but it was indeed our Lexi! She'd begun babbling. And she hasn't shut up since! It is the sweetest sound, I can tell you. And the best part? Listening to both of my girls babbling away. We get Ma ma ma, Ba ba ba, Da da da and some ell sounds are starting to emerge too. It's so neat to see them try different things with their tongues. It seems to be related to eating too. As I give the girls progressively chewier things to eat, they need to figure out how to manage their tongues to avoid the food falling out of their mouths. It seems that as they do this, it gives them the idea to pair sound with the action and thus gives them more sounds to work with. I might be off the mark on this one, but it's what I've observed anyway. It's so fun to have new sounds filling the house.
I've included an extra, bonus feature for Nick and CJ, which includes our favourite furry beasty. I might add that this beasty is becomming more and more enamoured with his Gullies, while they just as in love with him. Alexis laughs and laughs at him and his antics, and of couse, they LOVE to pull his fur. River will put up with that for a little while but then he makes his escape shortly after the fur pulling has begun. Every once in a while though, he'll wander over to where his girls are and sniff at their necks, while wagging his tail wildly. When we return from being out, he greets them as missed members of his beloved pack, and he certainly loves them for the delicious morsels that fall on him as he waits below their high chairs. He's been so great with them and with me. He follows me upstairs when it's time to put the girls down for a nap and lies between their cribs until I'm done settling them, and he's with me when it's time to get them up. Mostly he leaves their toys alone unless he's being silly and trying to engage Ivan in a good game of Chase Me! Anyway, enough about River, though we'd be lost without him.
I apologize about the quality of the first video, (It's hard to film them when they're swinging), but I just had to get Lexi whacking Charles Tulo in the face while scolding him for being "bad bad bad." Well, not really, but one could imagine! Enjoy and we'll be back next week.


2 comments:

Created With Paper said...

Nicholas and Charlotte thank you so much for the extra post, they were thrilled to see River, and to have a special message to them in the write up!

ReadandLearn said...

Oh Yay!
They're making sounds! So exciting.
I just love them. Keep up the video blogs... I can't live without them.
:)