Friday, July 17, 2009

We're 7 Months Old!

It's hard to believe it but it's true! These Gullies have reached the ripe old age of 7 months, and suddenly they are completely different girls. Both Mathilde and Alexis are able to sit up unassisted for long periods of time (basically until they're bored or tired). They now sit on the floor with their toys and play together, which has been a God send for me. I can get up and do the odd thing while they entertain themselves and each other and so really, we've achieved a whole new level of independence from one another. It's also really fun to sit on the floor and either play with them, or just watch them play! I've become so juiced up about it all that I just ordered about 7 books on infant development, learning and play from the internet. This will probably only serve to drive me insane, but at least I can maximize our play time and set them on the right path.
We've made leaps and bounds in the food department. As you can see from the video, Ivan and I introduced fish to their diet last Sunday. It was a white fish (turbot), and we poached it in water on the stove to cook it. Then we just served it to them like that. They really seemed to like it, so I think we'll do that once a week. We're looking at starting them on tofu, yogurt and lentils next. Maybe we will even try some cooked egg yolk next week. They've been enjoying apples, pears, peaches, plums and bananas for their fruit, and vegetables include: squash, yellow beans, sweet potatoes, peas and carrots. For snack time they've been having rice crackers with some cottage cheese. I tried grated mild cheddar cheese, but we had a repeat of the avocado incident. Ugh.
So why fish? As you know, I've been a vegetarian for 20 years now, and I do not eat fish. Ivan, however eats meat occasionally and would enjoy more fish in his diet. I've never known exactly how I feel about raising children as vegetarians. I am reluctant to entertain the fact that is it unhealthy to raise them as such, because there is no scientific evidence (that I know of) to show that a child absolutely requires animal protein to grow up healthy. There is, however evidence that the introduction of the fatty acids that are found in fish can improve their chances of avoiding asthma, improve brain development and lower the risk for heart disease. On the other hand, we might consider the risks associated with exposure to mercury and PCBs. I might add as well, that we can derive the same benefits from eating what the fish eat (aquatic vegetables for example), but I do not know of a reliable source for such products. Dulse excluded, but I can't even get Ivan to eat that! How can you win? Ivan and I discussed what was important to us as parents and how our decisions would affect our children, and decided that although we both agree that a vegetarian diet is ultimately healthy, we have an obligation to expose the girls to all things that may be good for them. They will make this choice for themselves later in life. In the mean time, we can seek out the best sources for their meat (organic, locally produced, hormone-free etc). And for my vegetarian friends, yes I'm aware that it may be said that I have the ethical responsibility to teach my children about eating sustainable foods with the least impact on the environment while showing compassion to the creatures we share the planet with. I think I believe that you can do both. I, however, will remain a vegetarian as it is a choice that I've made for myself and works for me.
So enough of my lecturing. These last two posts have been fairly controversial, I suppose, but I want to include our beliefs in the blog somewhat for the girls. Ivan and I intend on collecting the posts and publishing them in a book at the end of the year. I think it's really important that they see our decision making process. They will always know that we love them, but it may not always be clear why we do the things we do. Next week, I'll be back to tales of the Gullies and their leaps and bounds, which is really what you want to read about. Never mind what the parents are up to!
Have a lovely weekend everybody!
P.S. Toni, the girls absolutely LOVE the books that the kids picked out for them. (I do too!) That little bee is delightful, and it's so much fun to dress the bear. Although I'm not sure exactly why he needs the mouse in his pocket....Thanks, and hugs and kisses to Nick and CJ from Tilly and Lexi. xoxoxo

1 comment:

Created With Paper said...

Nicholas and Charlotte enjoyed seeing all the videos, they missed last week because i watched it in Halifax, but they loved seeing the girls play with the toys we sent and their introduction to fish. I can only imagine how hard it was to feed them meat, I remembered how I felt apprehensive about it and I'm not a vegetarian! I love hearing all your thoughts about how you work together to make decisions, it's hard enough to know what you think is best and trying to meld that with what your husband thinks is best can be challenging, but worthwhile! The girls are lucky to have you both.

Nicholas and Cj say hi to river, they wanted to see "the doggie" in the video, so I think I'll go back and show them one of your earlier posts.