Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Great Pandemic

I had planned to write about this flu pandemic (Swine, H1N1, call it what you like). I wanted to have on record for the girls an account of what was going on around them at such an important time in their lives. They are starting day-care in a week during the weirdest time I've ever experienced in my 35 years. And it is weird. It's been stunning to listen to the news everyday, listen to them bungle around reporting about a fear so extensive; a fear that is largely perpetuated by the media itself. And as a new parent, I'm (we're) caught right in the middle of it. There is nothing as powerful as Mama Guilt, nothing can send a mother's brain into a maelstrom of what-ifs faster than a gamble with their kids' health. If I don't get the vaccine, I could harm my children. If I do get this potentially insufficiently untested vaccine, I could harm them. If I have to wait in line to get this vaccine, I could expose them to the virus. If I don't wait in the line, I could leave them unprotected. I'm sick of feeling sick about it. One day, I'm told they need two doses. The next day I'm told they only need one. If I don't keep my ear to the radio/Health Canada/WHO sites I might miss some vitally important information. While I am keeping my ears and eyes open, I'm subjected to images of huge line ups and panicked Canadians. As I write this I can barely make out the news on CBC Radio in the other room. I just picked out the words fear, terror and vaccination. Damn the media. Anyway, we will try to get the girls vaccinated as the clinics prepare for the Gullies group tomorrow afternoon. Ivan and I got in at work.
Anyway, enough about that. The girls are wonderful, as usual! So bright and happy and active. They are learning about their world now at a lightening pace. Each day they show us something new that they have absorbed. Mathilde is clapping, both girls adore giving a high-five. They understand many of our directions. If I say, Mathilde, where is your sister? She will look for her. They love walking around assisted by us and of course, standing. They still haven't figured out how to get up into that standing position, but I don't think that's any cause for concern.
They love to play peek-a-boo with each other. It is so fun for them when their sister appears around the corner, or peeks at them from around a chair leg. They look for objects when they roll away, or under a chair. Both girls adore playing in the baking cupboard that I've set aside for them. They love to bounce the metal bowls off the ceramic tiles. It makes such a tremendous sound!
We got a digital scale so we could weigh them at home. Alexis is 18.4lbs and Mathilde is 19lbs. We picked up their new Big Kid car seats yesterday. It's really and truly amazing to me how fast the time has gone this year. I was told that it would be so, and I vowed to pay attention and not let the time get away from me. But I guess I did anyway. I do grieve the loss of their littleness, but I excitedly embrace the adventures that await us.
Well, that's it for now. I've got a thousand things to do to get myself ready for work, and to get the girls ready for the sitter. We would all like to wish my Mom, JoAnn a very happy birthday tomorrow. Sorry we can't be there to celebrate with you. Have a wonderful day all the same.


1 comment:

Created With Paper said...

Your swine flu thoughts are much like mine! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. The girls are doing so well with their development, it was great to see the way they responded to you and each other with the book. I can't believe they go to daycare next week already!

toni