Sunday, May 17, 2009

Another Week with the Gullies

It's started! They're starting to sleep like normal people! Not all the time, and never two nights in a row, and with no predictablility, but I can safely say it's starting to happen. Since last week, we've had 3 nights where the girls have slept for up to 11 hours at a stretch and in doing so, allowed me to sleep as well. To be sure, I wake up every few hours and check the clock to see what's going on, but for the most part I feel pretty well rested! It's life changing, really. It tells me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that someday soon, I will be able to stay up past 8:30pm and still get a decent amount of sleep. We'll be able to have grown-up time together and do things like have a late dinner, or even a bubble bath! Basically, me time in chunks greater than 20 minutes. Sounds heavenly!
We've made a few changes to the girl's diets since our visit to the pediatrician last week. Mathilde weighs 14lbs and Alexis is around 13 1/2lbs. This puts them in the 50th and 25th percentile respectively. Both measured in the 50th for their height. Dr Tremblay certainly was not concerned, but I'd been thinking that maybe Alexis was a little thin, so we picked up her calorie intake by adding a bottle of formula right before bed. It has the added effect that it helps her sleep longer too, which doesn't hurt. We've been offering Tilly formula too, but she's not particular about taking a bottle, so some nights she'll take it and others she won't. No big deal either way.
I made squash puree yesterday and made the introduction to them. I made it too thick though and it nearly choked them. We'll wait a week and then thin it out with formula and see how that goes. I felt like a big heal, after supper last night. Between the near drowning at the hospital when I gave them their first bath and this new choking incident, I keep waiting for child services to show up. I suppose I shouldn't joke about that. First of all, they're pretty hardy little people, and second, there are children out there in real danger from their care givers. Still, I felt bad. Sorry Gullies, I'm sure it won't be the last time that I inadvertently put your lives in jeopardy though. Be grateful you have your Papa to keep you safe!
I don't have much time to keep up my blog. I'll do my best to get an entry out every week. As I write the girls are waking from their nap and I'll have to wrap this up. Ivan's spare time at home is spent getting to the chores that I can't do during the week. This weekend we're (he is) getting the arbri de solei up (sun shelter/gazebo?). Next weekend My Mom and Richard will be here to meet the girls.
Enjoy the long weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Created With Paper said...

Nice to hear you're getting some sleep, it does get better, usually goes on and off I remember CJ sleeping through the night almost from the start and then at 7 months started waking up in the middle of the night! Nic was opposite started sleeping consistently thorough the night at 7 months. They're all different, but I know it makes the world of difference, if you can get good rest it makes the rest of the day more managable!

Where does the term "Gullies" come from?