Friday, January 30, 2009

7 Weeks and 1 Extra Pound

7 weeks today! It's so hard to believe, but then I look at my beautiful girls and I see that they are filling out the pj's that they were swimming in, and they're so much more engaged with us. It's thrilling. I went away for 2 minutes this morning and came back to the bed and when Tilly saw me, she lit up with huge smiles. Man, that felt fantastic, I don't have the words to describe it. But again, you all know what that feels like.
We went to the health clinic yesterday for a weigh-in and a breast feeding group meeting. Mathilde weighs 9lbs 14 oz, and Alexis is 9lbs 4 oz. For those keeping track, that's 1lb in two weeks. Yikes! We're very pleased with their progress, since breast feeding is one of those things where it's really hard to know for sure how much they're taking. Okay, I know you're supposed to do diaper counts, but when you've got twins, honestly the only way I know if I've changed someone is to do the smell test.
The breast feeding meeting we sort of walked in on. We finished our weigh-in and I needed to calm cranky babies and the best way to do that is to let them suckle a bit (or it seems that way to me anyway). So I plopped down in a rocker and plugged in the girls and introduced myself much to the amazement of the other ladies who had until moments before, been focusing on the finer art of latching on one single baby. I think my visit served to encourage some ladies who might have been thinking that nursing was too hard. It certainly reaffirmed for me what a good and important job I've been doing. Okay, enough pats on the back for me.
We got out for another walk with the girls and River. It's been either really cold here or really snowy, but we managed to find a window of opportunity the other day. We also made it out to a different mall this week to buy a book at the English book store. We picked up What to Expect; the First Year. This book has been well worth the trip and the cost and I'm sure will continue to prove its worth over the course of the next year. The girls slept through the entire outing and even afforded us the opportunity to have some wonderful Thai Food (which we all paid for later!)
Speaking of sleeping....6 straight hours last night! Then as if that wasn't good enough, we did our feeding for 45 minutes and then went back to sleep for 4 more hours! Is this too good to be true? I sure hope not! We're still co-sleeping and it's workout out for us for now. The girls really love it and it seems like the most natural thing in the world. Oh, we are fully aware of the pitfalls involved (getting them into a crib later on, intimacy, risk for SIDS and so on), but right now our sanity is in check and with sleep, we're better able to get on with the business of raising our two daughters.
And with that said, I've got two wide awake girls and one who needs to be fed, so I'm off to enjoy our babies. Dad is off to get provisions so wish me luck! One more week of two parents and then I'm on my own. Anybody have any vacation time coming up? It's Carnival...
Bye all, have a lovely weekend.

No comments: