Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Grammy's Request

January 21st 2009. Happy Birthday, Dad! Well, it is Wednesday and traditionally this is the day that I update the blog. I may change that to Friday, since that is the day of the week that the girls were born and so makes a bit more sense. But since my Mom made a special request for an update, we got some video and sat down to do just that. What's new? Well, we gave Alexis her first diaper rash the other day. There's a good way to make yourself feel like a real heel. I might have felt better if I had cut her finger with the nail clippers (which I am sure to do any day now.) We decided to let the girls go for six hours overnight without changing their diapers. This was neither a wise, nor a humane decision as it turns out. Live and learn I suppose; I'm just sorry that our parenting experiments result in real discomfort for our children. She's fine, by the way, it's nearly healed and she didn't seem to suffer any pain for it. I have suffered enough for both of us. Enough about that.
While I stole away to the washroom last night, one of my daughters smiled at her dad. Alexis, while in the arms of her handsome father decided to charm him with a smile. And it worked! But by the time I came racing from the washroom to witness it, she had moved on to another more common expression; consternation. I am happy for Ivan, that he got to be the recipient of the first legitimate smile. I did get one from our Mathilde this morning when I came back from getting juice, and to top it off, Lexi also expressed her happiness at my arrival by flashing me a big toothless grin! Ah, how satisfying and sweet! So now that we know they are capable of it, we spend a good deal of our time acting like idiots for them in an attempt to coax more of these delectable smiles. These are the rewards of parenting I think.
NOTE: Tilly just filled her diaper and was crying about it. Ivan walked in the room and so I deviously handed her off thinking that I was getting away with something. The second she hit his arms she flashed him a smile. The joke's on him though, he's got a diaper FULL of poop to contend with!
The girls have been sleeping really well (I think). They seem to have settled into feeding every 3 hrs during the day and then every 4 at night. This is very manageable. I should point out though that we are co-sleeping; something that we were not going to do. It doesn't help that our cribs are condemned; the unfortunate result of a massive recall by Storkcraft. I think we'll have our work cut out for us down the road, but for now, we're all getting sleep.
That's it from us for now. It feels like the girls are changing every day. We'll keep everyone posted while we mark the passing of each precious day. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Created With Paper said...

So happy to see live video again!!! thanks for posting it, the kids and I watched it together, they love seeing their cousins. It's been busy here, but when your gift came for Nic it reminded me to check in. Now was your dad's birthday on the 21st? Because it was my mom's 60th birthday on the 21st...thought maybe they shared the same day. Nic will open his parcel on Wednesday...thanks for thinking of him!